Wednesday 12 March 2014

Factor 8

Elliot's hip

Today was the day, the day Elliot had his first dose of factor 8, For the past week, I had noticed Elliot not wanting to lift his left leg, especially when doing his nappy, and it got me thinking maybe he had a problem with his hip. I asked Matty what he thought and he thought Elliot was OK, it was to be fair not that noticeable and it was only when doing his nappy, we thought maybe he was going through an awkward stage and didn't want us doing his nappy.
 Me and Elliot visited my mum on Monday, we had a lovely day we went to the farm to see Willow(her horse) and the cute baby animals, followed by a picnic by the river weaver, my mum did Elliot's nappy and noticed the same thing, Elliot stiffening his left leg and moaning, so I organised a trip to the hospital.

Hospital

We (me and Elliot) got to Manchester Children's Hospital at 10:30am today and saw Haemo expert Alison and a very aptly named nurse Nurse Bloodworth! Alison checked Elliot over and said I had done the right thing as it looked like Elliot either had a small bleed in his hip or bruising, probably due to him being more active and rolling around. Alison then said "we will give Elliot a dose of Factor 8 today". Wow his first ever one, I wish I had brought someone with me, I watched her prepare the Syringe, which was good to see, I have read the instructions myself but there is nothing like seeing it done. Then they had the problem of finding a vein, after one attempt in his arm they found a good one in his wrist and slowly pushed it in, Elliot was the most angry and upset I have ever seen him. It hurt my heart, but was also good to know he had it in his system. He slept for a good hour after and then rolled around on a blanket in the garden with our rabbits like nothing had happened.

Factor 8

Factor 8 for anyone not in the know is an injection that makes Elliot's blood more normal and helps it to clot and heal, we were given one box of the Factor 8 the day we found out about his Haemo, and it is for an emergency, it has to be kept in the fridge, everywhere Elliot goes we take the Factor 8 with us.

A New Hope

I will be trained on how to give Elliot factor 8 when he is on the medication every other day which will be when he is about 2 and then when he turns 11 he will then give it himself. I am hoping for a new way to take the factor so either it lasts for more then a day or a tablet, I know there are trials and studies currently going on for it being a weekly injection.
Below is an article about some of the new treatment that is all happening this year;
http://www.pharmatimes.com/Article/14-03-12/Bayer_invests_500_million_euros_for_haemophilia_A_production.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Toni's Mum Write.... This week has been an emotional roller coaster, but the reward at the end means that Toni has generated support that only people who are experiencing Heamophillia first hand can give her and Elliot. Toni started her Blogg only this week and she tells me she has had over 700 people from all over the world including Austrailia, Germany, America, India, And may more, the interest is awesome. She has had lots of great comments on her Facebook site too. I wanted to thank everyone who has shown an interest, it's great to share. Well done Toni I am so proud of you.xx

    ReplyDelete